A guide to making your own self-care box for when you are having a bad day!
Hi friends! Welcome to Riding the Wave Blog <3
I’m back back back again! and I clearly think I’m Alyssa Edwards
I have been very burnt out over the past few weeks, but I’m past it, I’m back, I have a sh*t tone of motivation!
Let’s get cracking, whoop whoop!
what is a bad day box?
A few people really liked my box day box idea from my last post about coping with PTSD. So, I thought I would explain a little bit more about what it is and how you can make one for yourself.
I’m not gonna lie I don’t remember if this was my idea or someone told me about it but a bad day box is essentially a little box full of items that will help you when you are having a bad day.
Sort of like a comfort blanket.
I started doing this when I was at university because there would be some days when I struggled to even get out of bed, so having a little box that past em had already prepped for those days when I feel like I am swimming against the tide is a great comfort! Almost like a bad day emergency kit.
what do you put in it?
Whatever you want lovely!
The idea is that you only put in items that are going to make you feel good and lift your spirits, so it makes riding out that wave a little bit easier for you.
Try putting in –
- something that smells good
- something that tastes good
- something that feels good
- something to distract yourself with
- and most importantly something to remind yourself that you are safe and loved
as long as you have a box big enough you can add in as much as you want!
I’ll show you what I put in mine
I have a shoebox covered in butterfly wrapping paper, which I think is really cute so that is what I use for mine.
In my bad day box, I like to put –
- For something that smells good – I put in a scented candle because who doesn’t love a good old scented candle
- For taste – as you can probably see from the picture you can’t go wrong with some chocolate or sweets if you prefer! If you don’t want sugar I also put in some flavoured lip balm.
- For something that feels good – I put in some face, foot and hair masks because I love giving myself a little pamper when I feel down.
- To distract me – I put in a colouring book and pencils because colouring books can be really relaxing as well as being distracting.
- The reminder – as you can probably tell by now, it really helps me to write a letter to myself. That is what I do for my reminder, I write myself a little letter to tell myself I am loved and safe and just amazing the way I am!
- Extras! This is the bit where you put in whatever you like. For me I put in some of my favourite herbal tea (twinnings glow tea and sleep tea is amazing!), a little cute keepsake of a turtle that I got on a date with my boyfriend and probably the best thing in my box is my little happy jar!
The Happy Jar
You can buy these on Amazon or Etsy but I think it’s better to do it yourself because that way its more personal to you.
Plus they are so easy to make, all you need is some paper, a pen and a jar.
Get yourself a mason jar or an old coffee jar and fill it with positive quotes, affirmations, things you like about yourself, whatever you want as long as it’s positive!
Decorate it and make it as colourful as you like and pop it in your box ready for those dreaded bad days.
Trust me it can make a massive difference <3
It perfectly normal to have a bad day!
Take care of yourself in those moments and don’t give yourself a hard time. We all have bad days, you’ve just got the ride the wave out until it passes because it will.
Allow yourself time to rest and time to be vulnerable and a little bit broken <3
It’s okay not to be okay!
I hope that I have inspired you to go and create your own Bad Day Box and if you have let me know in the comments how it goes!
Sending you all so much love!
If you feel like you are in a crisis
- Call NHS 111 (for when you need help but are not in immediate danger)
- Contact your GP and ask for an emergency appointment
- Contact the Samaritans (details below)
- Use the ‘Shout’ crisis text line – text SHOUT to 85258
Dear future em!
You have no idea how happy I am that we are out of our funk! It felt like it wasn’t going to end for a second there but we are calm right now.
Now is time to put in the graft so you can start working towards your goals.
Don’t let all this motivation you have atm go to waste! You can do anything you set your mind to, so go do it and don’t let the bastards get you down!
Love past em x